Here we will look at how to increase bass on windows 10 through a step-by-step guided tutorial.
Increasing the bass on your headphones is actually quite easy once you know-how, so let us walk you through and get either; the equalizer settings adjusted, the sound card driver updated, the sound enhancement settings tweaked or by applying bass boosting software.
We all know that sound quality is one of the primary factors that affect your listening experience. Every person wants the sound coming out of their device to be perfect in every sense, which is subjective and each person has a preference. But what happens when you get a new pair of headphones that you plan to use with your PC, and you suddenly discover that the bass is not what you expected it to be? You can easily enhance the bass in Windows 10 if you know the right steps. You can do it from the audio driver settings. Alternatively, you can use the built-in bass boost feature of Windows.
Check out Tropical Tech’s How to Turn on Bass Boost in Windows 10 guide on YouTube.
This article will share some of the common and easy ways how to adjust bass on windows 10 for your speakers and headphones.
Windows 10 Bass Boost: How to Increase Bass For Headphones and Speakers
If the sound from your speakers or headphones is coming out relatively flat, then there are three ways in which you can boost the bass. Remember that the problem might not be in the audio devices attached but rather in the Windows settings and sound card drivers. The three ways that we have mentioned below should be followed in the exact same order –
- Make sure your sound card driver is up-to-date
- Adjust the sound enhancement settings feature
- Try using Bass Boosting software for Windows 10
Remember, if you want to get the hassle-free listening experience, you need to choose the best wireless headphones for TV or PC where there will be no fuss of wires.
1. PC Bass Booster Tip: Make sure your sound card driver is up to date
Sometimes no bass on windows 10 can be because of the sound card. Before we proceed to update your sound card driver, you need to know what a driver is. It is a software program through which the devices and your operating system maintain communication between them. Your system will fail to function the way it should if the driver is outdated or corrupted.
Usually, the latest version of the driver is automatically updated by Windows, but sometimes, the problem lies in the device itself.
If you are not getting the desired audio output from your audio devices, it is best to check the audio drivers and whether they are performing the way they should. Once you get done with this done, you can rest assured that the weak bass is not due to an outdated audio driver.
There are six ways in which you can do this –
- Download & install Manufacturer Drivers
- Update the driver automatically
- Know the correct audio driver for your PC
- Install audio drivers for Windows 10
- Update the sound driver via Device Manager
- Update sound driver by applying Windows Update
2. Download & install Manufacturer Drivers
This process requires you to go online and find the appropriate driver. After that, you will have to download it and follow the instructions to install it. Thus, the process requires a considerable amount of patience and also an ample amount of knowledge about computers.
Look up your motherboard manufacturer, and you can easily find the sound card from their website in usual cases. So, you have to go to their official website and then find the drivers for Windows 10. Download it manually.
Open the downloaded file by double-clicking on it, and on the screen, you will find some instructions on how to install the drivers. Follow those instructions and once it is done, restart your computer.
3. Update the driver automatically
It is a recommended method since it does not involve any hassle at all. This method is especially advised when you cannot find your required driver online. It’s not that it is impossible to find it, but the process will be time-consuming and exhaustive.
Select any dedicated software of your choice and automate the entire process of updating. The whole process will be done with a single click. With this method, you do not have the risk of downloading some driver that is not fit for your system.
4. Know the correct audio driver for your PC
Not using the correct audio driver can degrade your sound quality. But when the driver you are using is the correct one, your PC would be able to the optimal sound output.
If you want to know what audio driver is present in your PC, here are some steps that you need to follow –
- Step 1 – Go to the Windows Start button and click on it. In the search box, type in Device Manager. From the search results on your window, click on Device Manager.
- Step 2 – In the dialog box, you will see the option ‘Sound, video, and game controllers.’ Click on the arrow beside it. Now, you will see a list of different audio devices that you have used with your PC. You have to find your sound card information in that list. Suppose you use Realtek HD Audio, then it will be listed there.
- Step 3 – To know more details, you have to double-click on it.
5. Install audio drivers for Windows 10
There are three methods that you can follow to install the audio drivers –
- From the site of the driver manufacturer
- From the site of the PC manufacturer
- From any third-party site
From the site of the driver manufacturer
If you want to be 100% sure about the compatibility, then follow this method.
- Step 1 – The first is to check what audio driver you have, and you can do that by following the steps mentioned previously.
- Step 2 – After you have found out the manufacturer’s name, open their official website. For example, if the driver is Realtek HD Audio, then you will have to visit the official website of Realtek.
- Step 3 – Then, look up the latest version that is compatible with your PC. Download that version.
- Step 4 – After the download is complete, a window will open on your screen with instructions for installation. After installation has been completed, restart your device.
From the site of the PC manufacturer
Depending on your computer manufacturer, you can visit their official site to check for compatible drivers. Here are the steps that you need to follow –
- Step 1 – Open the manufacturer’s official site.
- Step 2 – If there is a Search box, type in ‘Drivers’ and see what pops up on the result page. Alternatively, you can also search for the Downloads webpage.
- Step 3 – Look for your specific computer model and then find the corresponding audio driver to it.
- Step 4 – Once you have found the right option, download the driver and follow the instructions that appear on your screen to install it.
From any third-party site
If both the options that we have explained here do not work for you, then there is something else that you can try. There are some third-party driver downloading websites that can be of help here.
Most of these websites are free for people. Some familiar names include DriverGuide, Download.com, and DriverPack Solution.
6. Update the sound driver via Device Manager
Once you have successfully installed the required sound driver, you need to update it. Here we will show you the steps you need to follow to update the sound driver using the Device Manager –
- Step 1 – Type Device Manager in your task bar’s search box.
- Step 2 – You will notice an option ‘Sound, Video, and Game Controllers’ in the window that opens on the screen. Expand the option by clicking on the arrow beside it.
- Step 3 – Search for your audio driver, and when you spot it, double-click on it.
- Step 4 – In the pop-up window, click on the Driver tab. There, you will find an option – Update Driver. Click on it.
- Step 5 – After that, you’ll arrive at a new window where you will be asked whether you manually select the driver software or want Windows to look for it automatically. If you had successfully downloaded the required driver for your computer by following the steps we mentioned previously, you need to select the manual mode; otherwise, choose the automatic mode.
7. Update sound driver by applying Windows Update
The regular Windows updates that happen from time to time are very efficient in keeping your devices upgrades to the latest versions. You have a significant benefit when you follow this method – the driver update you are installing has already been analyzed by Microsoft. It has been tested, verified, and signed by them.
Here are the steps that you need to follow –
- Step 1 – On the lower portion of the left-hand side of your screen, you will find the Windows icon. Click on it. Then click on the Settings option, which is also represented by the gear icon.
- Step 2 – In the Settings pop-up window, you will find an option in the end – Update & Security. Click on it.
- Step 3 – In the new window, click on Check for Updates.
- Step 4 – Click on Download and Install. Everything on Windows will be updated upon doing this, and this also includes the sound drivers.
8. Adjust the sound enhancement settings feature
The bass boost feature is a built-in aspect of Windows 10. Irrespective of whether you are using speakers, headphones, or Earbuds, this method to adjust the bass through the sound enhancement settings feature can be followed by all –
- Step 1 – In the lower part of your screen and precisely on the right-hand corner of your system tray, you will find the speaker icon. Right-click on it, and then, from the list, click on Sounds.
- Step 2 – In the dialog box that opens, you will find several tabs. The first one is the Playback tab. Click on it, and then from the list, choose the playback device that is connected to the computer. After that, click on the Properties button.
- Step 3 – A new window will open. The third tab on your screen will be the Enhancements tab. Click on it. You will see different checkboxes. Spot the Bass Boost checkbox and then check it. After that, select the Settings option.
- Step 4 – Another window will open. Here, you can boost the bass and adjust frequency levels depending on what you want. After you have set the levels, click on OK.
- Step 5 – Then you come back to the Headphone Properties dialog box. Here, click on Apply and then on OK to complete the process.
9. Try using Bass Boosting software for Windows 10
If you have already followed all the steps that I have mentioned in this article and still have not received the results as expected, you can follow this final procedure and use Bass Boosting software.
Here is a list of standard bass boost software that we recommend –
- Equalizer APO – If you want to tweak even the minute details of sound settings and get the best out of your speakers or headphones, then Equalizer APO is the software for you. You can access unlimited filters on this software for an even more enriched sound experience. It also has very low CPU usage and low latency, making your overall experience so much better. The bass boost capabilities of this software are commendable. You can get the best out of this software if you use it along with Peace GUI.
- FX Sound – This software was initially known as DFC Audio Enhancer. Whether you are streaming music on Youtube or Spotify or watching your favorite videos, you can incorporate this software with several famous media players like Winamp, Windows Media Player, and iTunes to give you the best experience. It gives you 7.1 surround sound and makes low-quality soundtracks so much better on your speakers than they really are. You can also perform ambiance and fidelity adjustments, lower-midrange adjustments, and upper bass and deep bass adjustment. They do have one drawback – it would have been better if you could make more increments to the EQ. But as far as your Windows computer is concerned, this software is worth checking out.
- Bass Treble Booster – The frequency range in which you can tweak the bass with this software is 30 to 19K Hz. An exciting feature of this software is that it also acts as a handy audio converter. This software’s file size is small and provides you with a total of fifteen frequency settings.
- Boom 3D – People looking for an immersive sound experience on a budget should definitely check out Boom 3D. The software allows you to mimic certain ambiance that is favorite to the user and comes with 31 band equalizer presets. And what is more, is that you can listen to as many as 20,000 radio stations all over the world.
When you are using your speakers or headphones with your computer, your sound experience depends mainly on the device drivers and not only on the output device itself. Any problem with the output device will indeed hamper your audio output, but you should also check the sound settings and the state of the sound driver. Thus, you must know how to bass boost your playback devices on Windows 10 to get the best out of them.
Lastly, if you are looking for the best audio output, always choose great Bluetooth headphones with bass.